A Few Words of Warning

This blog contains some very difficult subjects.

Please be aware that some posts may contain subject matter that qualifies as adult content or fits under the definition of what many people would define as "too much information." If you feel you will be bothered by this, proceed with caution.

Some of the content may be triggering for some; if you feel you may be triggered by detailed descriptions of abuse, please proceed with caution. Gather support around you and use the emergency hotlines if you need to.

*Note: This is a sticky post and will remain at the top of every page. Please scroll down to see new content.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Worst Secret of My Life

I wrote this poem using the found poetry method at an ACA retreat. I never know what the poem is going to be about before I begin so I'm always surprised when I'm done. This one ended up describing my feelings during the sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my neighbor/babysitter. He used my family's secrets to keep me quiet and this poem talks about keeping my secret to protect them.



The Worst Secret of My Life


A man who leaves emotional scars can control your life.

You feel like this...
Alone.
Nothing matters.
I was dying.


You lie down until the feeling passes.

Help is not an option...

Family...depending...on...us.

Hold it together.
Don't trust.
Don't be afraid.
Don't feel.

Need to tell.
You must never tell.

Hiding a terrible secret...
Protects them.

No comments: