A Few Words of Warning

This blog contains some very difficult subjects.

Please be aware that some posts may contain subject matter that qualifies as adult content or fits under the definition of what many people would define as "too much information." If you feel you will be bothered by this, proceed with caution.

Some of the content may be triggering for some; if you feel you may be triggered by detailed descriptions of abuse, please proceed with caution. Gather support around you and use the emergency hotlines if you need to.

*Note: This is a sticky post and will remain at the top of every page. Please scroll down to see new content.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Listen

Author: Unknown

When I ask you to listen to me
and you start giving advice,
you have not done what I asked.

When I ask you to listen to me
and you begin to tell me why I shouldn’t feel that way;
you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me
and you feel you have to do something to solve my problem,
you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

Listen! All I asked you to do was listen,
not talk or do – just hear me.
Advice is cheap; 30 cents will get you both Dear Abby
and Billy Graham in the same newspaper.
And I can do for myself; I am not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself,
you have contributed to my fear and weakness.

But, when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel,
no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince you
and get on with the business of understanding what’s
behind the irrational feeling. And, when that’s clear, that answers are obvious and I don’t need advice. Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what’s behind them.

Perhaps that’s why prayer works, sometimes, for some people,
because God is mute, and He doesn’t give advice or try to fix things.
He just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.

So, please listen and just hear me.
And, if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn; and I’ll listen to you!
____________________
Credit for selected readings are given if known. If no credit is given, the author of the piece is unknown. If you know to whom credit is due, please email me and I will make the necessary changes to give credit to the author.

No comments: