A Few Words of Warning

This blog contains some very difficult subjects.

Please be aware that some posts may contain subject matter that qualifies as adult content or fits under the definition of what many people would define as "too much information." If you feel you will be bothered by this, proceed with caution.

Some of the content may be triggering for some; if you feel you may be triggered by detailed descriptions of abuse, please proceed with caution. Gather support around you and use the emergency hotlines if you need to.

*Note: This is a sticky post and will remain at the top of every page. Please scroll down to see new content.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Must I See Who I Am?

Before I started recovery, I only had two feelings: either I was ok or something bothered me. Throughout my childhood, I had learned to stuff my feelings down as much as possible. Unfortunately, that usually backfires and one day I just totally lost it. That led to me seeking help for the first time. With that therapist, I learned that I did have other feelings. However, once I started feeling my feelings, I often wished I could go back to the old way of not feeling. These feelings were so hard to deal with. After a long while, I became more used to feeling things (although some of them are still hard) and finally came to accept them as being a normal and ok part of me. Even the negative feelings were ok so long as I kept them from turning into suicidal depression or rage. In June 2004, I wrote this poem about my feelings.


Must I See Who I Am?

Little did I know me.
Black notions,
Red flashes of anger
Turning my feelings blue
With shame.
Green with envy
I thought myself dull, lifeless, and gray.

A mixture of color
All muddied and confused,
I arrived in the light
And began to see
Each piece of me...

Distinct
Separate
Colorful
Beautiful

A rainbow of feelings
Each true and real.
Accepting them,
Dissecting them,
Seeing who I am.
The dark.
The light.

Now I know me.
A kaleidoscope of color
Interesting
Intriguing
Ever changing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Beautiful poem. I remember a time, before therapy started, when I could recognize only two emotions: happy and sad. Everything else churned my stomach because I didn't recognize what they were. No stomach problems now.